Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Monday, August 30, 2010

"Me Time" Monday - Taking a Day Off

It's true that Monday isn’t the first day that comes to mind when I think of having some time for myself. I’m more likely to spend this particular day tackling mountains of laundry, piles of dishes and otherwise catching up from a busy weekend. So each week, I’ll be making a point to try out a new idea for “me time” and reporting back every Monday, when we all need inspiration the most.

This week I'm on vacation, so I'm not trying out any "me time" experiments - other than trying to get as much as I can while we're away! Instead, for the next two Mondays, I have a few ideas in mind that have worked well for me in the past that I thought I'd pass along.

One of my all-time favorites is my "day off" - something we used to do monthly that hasn't been happening with enough consistency lately. A while back, I realized that while I had plenty of nights out at dance class or having coffee with friends, I really missed having time alone in my own house to do whatever I wanted. So once a month when I have the foresight to plan it, Jim takes the kids out for a fun half- or full-day activity. He's always a little bummed that I get to do all the fun stuff with the kids, so it really is a time that we both enjoy.

Even though monthly doesn't seem to fit our schedule right now, I'm really looking forward to getting back to doing this on a regular basis. However I spend the day, I resist the urge to catch up on chores or tackle big projects. Instead, I watch movies, read or do anything that I'd never have the opportunity to on a regular day. In fact, I think I need to get one on the calendar right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment