Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Monday, September 6, 2010

"Me Time" Monday - Rediscovering Reading

It's true that Monday isn’t the first day that comes to mind when I think of having some time for myself. I’m more likely to spend this particular day tackling mountains of laundry, piles of dishes and otherwise catching up from a busy weekend. So each week, I’ll be making a point to try out a new idea for “me time” and reporting back every Monday, when we all need inspiration the most.

So here's something that may surprise you . . . I can't remember the last time I read a book. I'm not talking about any books; I've read plenty of homeschooling, nutrition and parenting books in recent years. But as far as reading for pleasure, that pretty much ended when my son was born.

It's not something I've missed terribly, at least not at a conscious level. But due to a series of misadventures that left me unable to work (on curriculum) on this car trip, I've made several visits to the bookstore instead. Although I had to refrain myself from buying research-oriented books, I decided to stick with "just for fun" books - one novel and two collections of travel essays.

I've been enjoying it so much that I've decided to make reading this week's "me time" experiment. Even after we return to the busy schedule of normal life, I'll be attempting to carve out a consistent quiet reading time for myself each day. After all, I have a book to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment