Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Me and My Girl

Ever get struck in the middle of a crazy, hectic day by overwhelming wave of gratitude for being able to share a special moment with your kids? Well, that’s what Thankful Thursday is all about. Each week, I’ll aim to share a special moment that I would have missed had my kids been away at school . . . and I’m counting on all of you to share yours, too. It will give us something to reflect on during those other six crazy, hectic days!
 
Seems like it's usually my boy that I'm blogging about, which of course makes me feel guilty as only a mother can feel. He'll always be two years older and two years "ahead", and I think she gets frustrated knowing that. 
 
In addition to the age difference, my two have wildly different personalities. Noah is very confident; it's never occurred to him that he might not be the very best at everything in the world. Ava, on the other hand, is very hard on herself and full of self-doubt. It's hard to watch, and even harder wondering if those are habits she picked up from me (more mama guilt there).
 
As a result, she tends to hold back in the classroom, not trying things for fear that she won't do it right. It's hard not to push, but I really try to let her move forward at her own pace - and every once in a while we have a breakthrough. Lately I've noticed her being discouraged with drawing, which to her is pretty much still scribbling at this point. When she wants to draw something specific, she'll tell me she doesn't know how and ask me to draw it for her.
 
The other day we were playing in her room with a magnadoodle book that showed in 3-4 steps how to draw a variety of things. I picked it up, started talking about how I had no idea how to draw an umbrella (cupcake, bird, etc.) and how I was so glad to have a book to show me how to do it. She was excited to watch me draw and turned the pages for me . . . and when we were done, she eagerly grabbed the book away and declared it her turn. 
 
Not only did she enjoy recreating each picture step by step, but it's the first time I've seen her draw something with any intent behind it - and something I could recognize! I think seeing me work through the process made her realize that it's okay to try things even when you don't know where to start - and let her know that I'm always with her every step of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment