Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wild Idea Wednesday - Classroom Organization

Need some new ideas for keeping learning fun? I’ll be sharing our favorites each week on Wednesday. To be honest, the thought of committing myself to having one great idea every week is stress-inducing, so I’m going to put it out there in advance that I will probably borrow heavily from all my wise mama friends.

During our recent move, we cleaned out a lot of the kids' old toys (shhhh . . . don't tell!), which left us with a surprising excess of storage space. This unit from IKEA was going unused in the playroom, so I commandeered it for the classroom instead.

We are fortunate to have a very well-stocked library - so well-stocked that I feel that books often get a bit lost. In our new classroom, it's been reorganized (Noah's reading books, Ava's reading books, learning books, curriculum, etc.) to make it easier to find what I'm looking for . . . but I still wanted a way to make it easy for the kids to go grab and book and start reading (and get it back in the proper spot when they're done).

This unit worked perfectly to house books and other learning tools for the four main topics we're studying this fall. From top to bottom, they are cars, oceans, money and the USA. Larger books fit nicely in the big green bins, and smaller books, flashcards, software and CD's work well in the small white ones.

I'm really happy with how it worked out, and I like having what we're most likely to use separated from the rest of the library and easily accessible. My last step will be to label each bin with the name and picture of the topic so that both kids can find the proper spot to return each item!

No comments:

Post a Comment