Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our month of doing (everything but) nothing

So April is an off month for us. We began our first year of any type of structured curriculum with a 3 months on/1 month off schedule. The jury's still out on whether or not this will be a keeper. Anyway, April is our month "off" - meaning that we still participate in co-ops and field trips but we skip our usual classroom time so I can (in theory) work on planning for the next three months. But as we go into the last week of the month, I have no notebooks made for our summer session and haven't even started our (self-designed) geography curriculum.

Instead, I've declared it Earth Month and planted a last-minute vegetable garden. I've put together a month-long unit on horses after finding out that the Black Stallion Literacy Program has their events scheduled for only this month. I've broached a new idea to our homeschool group about tying our weekly co-ops together with a month-long theme - and volunteered to plan five weeks worth of classes (with help from a friend) as an example of how it could work. I've offered to coordinate space at several local farmer's markets to maximize our efforts for the Great American Bake Sale. And then there's the idea I haven't even thrown out there yet - starting up a monthly community service event for interested group members.

So my "planning" didn't turn out quite the way I'd planned. I'm excited about all the new ideas but feeling even less prepared to take them on. Why do I feel this need for all this planning? Is it essential that I have times blocked out for everything for the next three months? It sure feels like it, but I don't know why. Life gets so hectic that I'm worried I won't get everything in if I don't have at least a general plan. Am I overthinking this? Do tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment