Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hmmm . . . Where Did All the Time Go?

Well, Day 2 of the new schedule went . . . well, it went. Quickly. We headed off to a one-hour art class this morning, and the next thing I knew, I was asking Jim to orchestrate game time while I made dinner.

The kids have a brilliant plan for putting off naptime, and it suckers me in every time. After lunch, they mysteriously disappear and play quietly together for what seems like hours. And even thought I know what's going on (and am all too familiar with the ramifications of a napless two-year-old), I can't seem to resist the temptation of seeing just how much I can get done in a quiet house with no one needing me. I mean, when else do the kids ever play quietly for hours? You just can't pass up an opportunity like that.

So this is my long-winded way of telling you that I blew a good part of my afternoon putting away groceries, unloading the dishwasher, updating my anti-virus and a few more of the never-ending activities that always fill up the "to do" list. Which means a late nap for Ava and some very rushed school time for Noah.

Maybe one of these days I will learn. In the meantime, this is what we got accomplished on the first Tuesday of our new schedule:

Reading: Little Black Goes to the Circus
Life Skills: Take out recycling; unload groceries
Art Project: Print-making at OMA
Reading Comprehension: Short story with sequencing and comprehension exercises
French: Rosetta Stone
Project Time: Learned/played new math games at Fun Brain
Game Time: Memory (Tuesdays & Thursdays we play Ava-appropriate games)
Other: Online Scrabble; update classroom calendar

The microphone that works with Rosetta Stone isn't working, so we didn't get too much done there. I need to uninstall/reinstall the software to see if that does the trick. Noah does really well with French but I noticed last session that his interest was waning. I'm hoping to make it more fun for him by asking him to help me learn. He always wants to be the teacher, and I never quite find time to do the lessons on my own, so I'm hoping that working together will help us both!

Our "project time" is for fun things that we don't seem to have time for otherwise - learning magic tricks, mastering material from his joke book, etc. He asked to work on magic today, but we couldn't find his magic kit and decided to check out some new online math games instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment