Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Talking United States Map Really Teaches

Well, I came really close to getting Teaching Tool Tuesday done on Tuesday for a change. It's just past midnight, so I'm thankful that my blog is on Pacific time (just as I should be).

I've always liked this Talking U.S. Map, but I didn't really know that it was blog-worthy. Press each piece to learn the state name, capital and nickname. Noah's enjoyed it from time to time, but it's never been in the same category as the interactive anatomy toy . . . until this week.

As you know, this week's co-op with SLC was on the United States. I was excited for Noah to learn the Pledge of Allegiance - mostly because I felt like a slacker for not teaching it to him by now. To my surprise, as it was being read aloud he recited it from memory (at least the rendition of a five-year-old who's never been taught to say it properly). I was stunned! And when I asked him how he knew it, he told me - you guessed it - the Talking U.S. Map. Amazing what they pick up when you're not even trying!

A funny side note to this story . . . he recited the pledge several times during dinner last night. I thought it was especially appropriate (and cute!) that his dinnertime version ended with "with liberty and digestion for all".

No comments:

Post a Comment