Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Monday, July 20, 2009

An Introduction to United States History

Today we enjoyed a patriotic co-op with our friends from SLC. The kids learned the pledge of allegiance, listened to the National Anthem and learned a little history about the beginnings of our country and our government. Afterwards, the kids each painted their own fabric flag to wave.

It got me thinking that we will have a huge learning opportunity in November with our upcoming visit to the DC area. So, instead of studying a country each month this fall (as we've been doing), we're going to do one big unit on the United States. I've been wondering when would be the right time is to start diving into U.S. history - so I guess this is the time. We'll also go back and learn a bit about each of the states we'll be visiting on our trip and plot our route on the map. Our unit will culminate with a huge field trip in and around our nation's capital.

This is all off the top of my head, of course, dreamed up in the past few hours. But, I'm looking forward to putting a little time into it and seeing where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment