Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What's Growing in Our Garden

Here's an update on our fall garden since I planted our first seedlings a few weeks ago . . . The three new Earth Boxes I planted are flourishing; the picture at left shows a few leftover cucumber I haven't found a spot for yet (still in the seedling tray) compared to the cucumber behind in it that's been in the Earth Box for about a month. The difference is unbelievable! Not to sound like an Earth Box commercial, but these things are amazing!

The three new boxes are planted as follows: one with tomatoes, one with cucumber and one with lettuce, kale & broccoli. Since I didn't have a box for the squash, I planted it in a wooden planter box Jim made in the spring for the corn. It's thriving as well, and I'm now wishing that I'd planted my cucumber the same way to free up a box for the more finicky plants.

Since I ended up with way more seedlings than spots, I passed some along to a friend - but still had some left. I couldn't just leave them there to shrivel up, so I bought one new box for more lettuce, kale & broccoli and transplanted my herbs from an Earth Box to individual plants. I wasn't sure they'd make it, but they seem to be doing great so far.

The eggplant that I planted in April is still growing strong - currently flowering and producing the 6th or 7th round of fruit (I've lost count). Tonight I'm making a roasted vegetable antipasto salad with eggplant from the last round. The pepper plants for our gardening co-op all have tiny little peppers on them, and the lettuce and kale looks like it will be ready for the first cutting in a few weeks.

After having disastrous gardening results in the past, I'm thrilled to be on season two of growing things we can actually eat.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the info; I will definitely check it out. As a former brown thumb, anything that makes my garden grow sounds good to me. I try to add a few new boxes each season, so I will definitely consider these for next time.

    ReplyDelete