Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wild Idea Wednesday - Asking for Help

Need some new ideas for keeping learning fun? I’ll be sharing our favorites each week on Wednesday. To be honest, the thought of committing myself to having one great idea every week is stress-inducing, so I’m going to put it out there in advance that I will probably borrow heavily from all my wise mama friends.

When my kids come up with questions I can't answer, I'm never shy about asking for help. And whether that means visiting the bank so Noah can ask his questions about money or traipsing up the steps to Capital Hill at midnight so Ava could ask the guard with the really huge gun how she could go inside to "see the bills", I'm always the first to tell them I don't know everything and help them find someone who can.

Our current unit on cars is no different. It's almost laughable actually that I'm even teaching a unit on cars, considering how little I know about them. But when it came time to work on our graph of car prices, going straight to the source seemed much more fun than finding the info online. And that's how today's field trip ended up being at Carmax. I figured that would be easier than driving around to different dealerships so Noah could compare prices on different makes and models.

Fortunately, the folks at Carmax were happy to oblige and turned us loose on the lot, offering to answer any questions as needed. During our visit, Noah learned how to look for the year, make and model and practiced rounding the prices up to the nearest thousand. Later this week, we'll chart them on the bar graph in the lapbook. He's also doing an alphabet photo book featuring different makes of cars, so he was able to get at least half the letters covered in just one stop.

I just pulled his photos off the camera to snag one for this post, but over the next week or so, I'm going to show him how to edit them in Photoshop. In glancing at them briefly, my favorite part is how you can see his reflection in every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment