Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fun at the Farmer's Market

We've been meaning to visit our new favorite produce vendor at the Victoria Park farmer's market for a few weeks now, and today we finally made it. In the past, I've tended to avoid farmer's markets - mainly because I'd never seen an actual farmer there. I loved the idea of local produce and was frustrated to see vendors with the same produce that came off the truck at Publix.

Recenly, I've been happy to see local farmer's turning out at the weekend markets. Our local market (Lake Mary) has tomato and citrus farmers, but I was thrilled to discover a vendor with an enormous selection of organic produce grown on their farm in Melbourne. Today was our first time doing a week's worth of produce shopping there, and we were able to get everything we needed except for lettuce, spinach, broccoli, grapes and avocado (which I later picked up at Publix).

The couple who runs the farm is extremely friendly. When they saw Noah's interest in gardening, they showed him pictures of their farm, including a few shots of the red peppers he picked out as they were growing on the plant. Their prices are very reasonable for organic produce. Here's what we got for our $30 (some of it got eaten before I took the picture):
  • 1 huge watermelon
  • 1 pineapple
  • 2 mango
  • 4 bananas
  • 5 peaches
  • 1 eggplant
  • 2 zucchini
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 4 red peppers
  • 2 yellow peppers
  • 8 jalepeno peppers
  • 10 new potatoes
We will definitely be back for more next week!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to visit this farmer. We found a couple of farmers at two markets where we are visiting that have organic produce and jams. I love how the kids love the concepts of both gardening and the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete