Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Greenville, SC - Children's Garden

We've been a bit travel deprived the past few years, so I take any opportunity to get out of town! Fortunately, the kids seem to share our love of exploring new places - and I love finding fun and educational experiences wherever we go.

In researching Greenville, I was excited to learn about their Children's Garden, a 1.7 acre greenspace on the Reedy River right in the downtown district. After hiking in from Falls Park, we spent a nice amount of time wandering through the gardens. Ava was a bit worn out from a busy morning, but my little green thumb was excited to see all the plants.

The garden encompasses several main sections:

1. An alphabet garden where kids can learn about (and see) plants from A to Z.

2. A "five senses" garden where plants that appeal to each sense are grouped together - from blackberries in the "taste" garden to brightly-colored flowers in the "sight" garden.

3. A storybook garden where Peter Rabbit and Winnie the Pooh wove their tales throughout the landscape.

We're finding Greenville to be very family friendly, health conscious, active and green - all the things that we love. We watched the USA Cycling Pro Championships on Sunday and are hoping to make it to the new Children's Museum before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment