Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Homemade Candy Corn

Today, we tried out a candy corn recipe in preparation for an upcoming co-op. I was surprised to learn (from our Hands of a Child "Thanksgiving" project pack) that candy corn was actually a treat enjoyed by Native Americans.

In talking about the first Thanksgiving, they say:

"Another thing that may have been served is candy corn. Yes, candy corn! This sweet was a treat that was eaten by Native Americans. There are some differences in the recipes of modern-day candy corn and the candy corn that the Indians made, but the taste is very much the same."


I was hoping the "dough" would stay pliable enough that I could make it in advance and let the kids make their own candy corn in class. But, it hardens (to rock-like consistency) very quickly so they will have to be premade.

They turned out pretty well, and the kids love them. Of course, they've never had candy corn before so they have no frame of reference. And it's pretty much pure sugar, so what's not to like?

Here's their recipe:

Candy Corn (a modern version)

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup white corn syrup (I used agave nectar instead)
1/3 cup butter (I used Earth Balance)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup powdered milk food coloring (optional) (after re-reading the directions, I think this is supposed to be two separate items: 1) 1/3 cup powdered milk and 2) food coloring (optional). I didn't use either.)

Combine sugar, butter and corn syrup in pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn head to low, and boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add vanilla. In separate dish, combine powdered sugar, sald and powdered milk. Add all at once to the mixture in the pan. add food coloring, if desired. Stir until cool enough to handle. Shape into triangular pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment