Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Kind of Crazy

For the past few weeks, I've been having the urge to do something a little crazy, but I didn't know what. Among the suggestions from my friends were skydiving, bungee jumping, scuba diving, body painting and a new hair color, but for some reason, none of those struck a chord (though the last two were the ones I'm most likely to try). I tried not to obsess about it, but one day this past week, I was sitting at my computer working on the cars lapbook when I decided that what I wanted was to do a triathlon.

This may not sound that odd, but I guess what makes it crazy is that I'd pretty much sworn off tri's after the kids were born. Running I could handle, but finding the time to train for three sports while homeschooling two kids, performing with my bellydance troupe and juggling several freelance writing gigs seemed  a tad unrealistic. And I'm sure it's still completely unrealistic, but somehow, I'm going to do it anyway.

So where did this urge to push my limits in some crazy way arise from? My theory is that I've been so wrapped up in planning our upcoming school year that my balance has been a little off, too heavily weighted in my mama/teacher role and too light on the "me side". Plus, I always like to have a goal on the horizon, and since I swore off running earlier this year (I've been eating my words a lot the past few days!) I haven't really had that.

While I haven't made a final decision, I'm leading towards the Florida 70.3, a half Ironman race at Disney next May . . . and I'm just hoping this still sounds like a good idea once training time rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment