Is it possible to be a dedicated homeschooling mom while still making time for myself as an individual (a girlie girl who likes cute shoes)? I like to think so. Follow along, and I'll let you know for sure.

Trust me . . . it's not ALL about the shoes.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wild Idea Wednesday - Playing Catch Up

Need some new ideas for keeping learning fun? I’ll be sharing our favorites each week on Wednesday. To be honest, the thought of committing myself to having one great idea every week is stress-inducing, so I’m going to put it out there in advance that I will probably borrow heavily from all my wise mama friends.

I'm sure you're familiar with this scenario . . . the homeschool schedule looks PERFECT on paper. There's plenty of time to complete curriculum, work on special projects, read library books, make art projects, go on field trips and conduct science experiments. But when it's time to put the plan into action - HA!

So here we are, a month into our school year - feeling hopelessly behind. Curriculum is going great since that's what we tend to focus on first, but library books are piling up on the shelf, the classroom walls are devoid of new masterpieces and the kids are dismayed we haven't made anything explode yet. The fabulous projects we had planned are still mostly hypothetical, and our afternoon outdoor playtime . . . well, we're struggling to make sure we get the dog walked every day.

Over the weekend, I decided that we needed a catch up week - and that's exactly what we're doing. This week, we haven't done a bit of curriculum. Instead, we're catching up on our reading (which takes a while since Noah usually opts for very lengthy, non-fiction books), painting, doing some money-related science experiments, learning Photoshop (for Noah's cars photo book project) and making lapbooks.

Yesterday, we saw a production of Pippi Longstockings at the Orlando Rep and afterwards, the kids ran around Loch Haven Park. Today, we had lunch outside and read library books in the garden. It's been a nice week. So nice, in fact that I'm going to make "catching up" a monthly event around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment